Friday 1 May 2009

Goals

Afternoon Campers!

Just sitting down after consuming a probably slightly-too-large bowl of stir fry, contemplating on what training plan to opt for, for this marathon in November. I've been offered a few different options from folks, and have been given some advice on predicted times from coach Jim and Mick at my running club. The formula suggested is (2 x half marathon time) + 20 mins. This works out for me at 3:44, so I've been looking at some 3:45 schedules.

To be honest I'll be happy with anything under 4:30, but if I do the training for 3:45, and it comes out a little quicker than 4:30 I'll be a happy chappy.

The Runners World ultimate marathon schedule looks to be a canny starting point:

A 3:45 marathon is approximately 8:30 per mile. To break 3:45, you should eventually be capable of a sub-1:45 half-marathon (8:00 per mile) and sub-46:00 10K (7:30 per mile). Right now, you should be running at least 25 miles per week, and be able to run for 1:15 non-stop.

Well based on last years times I can tick the boxes for HM and 10k times, maybe not quite as fit as I need to be at the moment, but I am working on it. These plans all seem to be for 16 weeks, so looking at that I should be starting in the last week of July, so that gives me plenty of time to get fit and lose a few pounds.

This brings me nicely round to this weeks running round-up

Following a weekend of doing nothing but coughing and working, I tried to get back into the swing of things on Tuesday.

Tues 28th
Coach Jim's evil hill torture session, i.e. Springfield bank x12.
I actually only had time to do 8 reps as I was going out for food with my folks, so I did a little extra on the warm up. It was minging out there, and was soaked through before the session even started.

Warm up: 19:28 - 2.03 miles
Springfield x8: 23:19 - 2.59 miles

Weds 29th
Was tired before I even left the house, but tried to get there a little early to get a bit warmed up before meeting up with Helen, Jim & Alan. Took the shorter route back as I was worn out by the time we got the the council offices.

Hebburn loop: 51:25 - 5.71 miles

Thurs 30th
Track session 16x300m parlaufs. Basically run 300m then your partner sets off, you jog back 100m to meet them. Fortunately I was teamed up with Claire and not Craig, who set off like a bat out of hell, and managed to keep the pace going for the whole session. Poor Graeme had to jog across the grass to get back to his starting point.

Warm Up: 9:16 - 1.03miles
Parlaufs: 16 x 300, 1:27 1:27 1:26 1:21 1:19 1:18 1:15 1:26 1:16 1:28 1:22 1:20 1:17 1:24 1:20 1:16 (Total distance & time: 21:48 - 3:02miles)
Warm Down: 5:48 - 0.80 miles

Fairly consistent on the reps apart from a few dodgy fast ones towards the end of the session, followed by slower reps to recover.

Thinking about having a bit of a bimble tonight as it looks like it's brightened up out there, and I will be getting out for a longer run on Sunday, not sure what time though as I may have to work.

Happy running folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment