Sunday 7 March 2010

March madness

or March hill madness to be specific....

This week has been all about the hills, starting on Tuesday with the club session on Springfield bank (Field Terrace). It was 12 reps hard up hard down. I was bloody knackered when I finished, but I worked pretty hard and managed to knock a minute off the last time we did the session (November).

02/03/10, 4.56mi - 32:32, Springfield bank x12
03/11/09, 4.56mi - 33:31, Springfield bank x12
06/10/09, 4.56mi - 32:02, Springfield bank x12
24/02/09, 4.56mi - 32:47, Springfield bank x12

I reckon I should be able to crack the 32 minute mark this year, feeling pretty positive about my running at the mo, so hopefully I’ll be getting quicker throughout the year.

I missed my Wednesday run due to work, but I did make up for it on Thursday at the track. I arrived late, but still in time enough to do 15 of the 16 300m reps. We were doing parlaufs (like a relay) run for 300m, jog back 100m to meet your partner.

1:14, 1:06, 1:06, 1:08, 1:08, 1:12, 1:12, 1:12, 1:13, 1:12, 1:14, 1:14, 1:08, 1:10, 1:12

Took the first one pretty steady, but went for it once I got going. I was pleased to get a few under 70 seconds, but would like to be a bit more even paced.

Saturday was going to be a parkrun at Sunderland day for me, but I had to work in the morning so I missed it again, and had to settle for my trip over there on Sunday

I started the day with a bit of a blast with Murph. It was -5 when I left the house, was wondering whether to go for a long run after or tuck myself back under the duvet with a cuppa & toast. I opted for the exercise (to try and burn off some of Saturday night’s pizza overindulgence), and jumped in the van to get over there before 9.

This is what was described as an 'Undulating' route with Sunderland Strollers. It was a fantastic morning, sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Bit of a tough run passed the lakes, up the werewolf path, up through Doxford and up again to Burdon village. Then we had farmer’s fields, mud and a stream. Back up again (after being informed that this wasn't hilly it was undulating :P) round to the back of the new school in Ryhope, then passed some playing fields and down onto Ryhope Road. Up (again) Queen Alexandra Road, and then back to the Barnes.

Not sure how a route could seem to be uphill for 90% of the time, but it seems that the laws of physics don't apply in Sunderland

So today’s runs:

Doggy woofer run: 1.75mi – 13:51
Strollers Run: 12.03mi – 1:43:34

A much better week running wise, but far too many hills for my liking. I did enjoy both hill sessions but my calves aren’t thanking me for it one bit. I’m gonna sit with my feet up and chill for the rest of the night

Happy running folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment