Thursday 30 June 2011

Golf, Diving and the Sunshine Run 5k

Ooh, what a week.  It all started out pretty well with us supposedly moving house at the end of the week, but on Wednesday things took a bit of a down turn with the announcement of a delay.  This after me packing pretty much everything up into boxes and sealing them with packing tape >:|  This now means that we're living out of boxes, and the house is a total bombsite (as opposed to the organised chaos which it normally is).

never mind

Golf, running, and diving are trundling along at a much better rate :D

Golf
I took part in my first 18 hole ladies comp on Sunday at the Tyneside Lady Captain's Day stableford competition.  It's just as well it was stableford (where you're awarded points for how close to par you get), and not stroke play (where they count up the number of shots it takes to complete the hole).  I managed 28 points which isn't too shabby for my first go, and I didn't score at all on 5 of the holes, so it could have been even better - but that's what golf is all about right ;)  Looking forward to the next competition.

Running
I seem to be getting back to form after the disaster at the London Marathon.  It really took it out of me but things seem to be getting back on track.  We've had a couple of decent club sessions recently, where I really feel like I'm making progress.  Then on Saturday (25th) I bimbled up to Newcastle (skiving off work) to do the Parkrun.


The rapidly-returning-from-injury Mick Joyce & I paced each other round in a season's best of 22:49 - Go Team Jarrow!  Which felt pretty comfortable despite having to stop (again) to retie my laces.  Those things are getting a float test as soon as I can cadge some replacements.

I took the weekend off from running (to play golf) and the next thing on the agenda was the Evening Chronicle Sunshine Run 5k, on Newcastle Quayside.  It's a super fast flat route, and perfect for running a decent 5k.  I only spotted Angela Hunter in the starting line up as a contender for the ladies prizes, so I thought I may be in with a chance of a podium finish.

Helen, Alan, Frankie, and Angela lined up me me near to the start line, and we were straight off across the start with the horn. I normally have no kind of plan for this race, but I've been trying to be a bit more conservative with my pacing at the start recently, so the aim was to start off steady, then try and catch people on the return back along the quayside towards the finish.  I managed to stick with it for the most part, and headed up river at a conservative speed, just to make sure I didn't overcook things and blow up.

Towards the turn I saw Angela heading back down river in about 5th or 6th place overall, but didn't spot any other ladies ahead of me, so I knew I had 2nd place so long as I could hold on to it.  As I made the turn I could see the next lady a good 400m behind me, but she looked like a decent runner, so the game wasn't over just yet.  I decided to try and put some more distance between us and pushed on pretty hard on the way back towards the Redheugh bridge.  Going off recent training sessions it seems like we all work pretty hard in the second to last rep when we're doing intervals, so I knew I could dig in deep and pull a bit more out the bag.

I felt pretty confident that I'd secured my place by the time I reached the Swing Bridge, as I can put in a canny 800m time, so I just continued with the same pace and pushed on over the Millennium Bridge and across the finish line.

22:10 is the unofficial time, so we'll have to see what the results say.

Well done to Angela for 1st place, and to Joanne Livey (sp?) from Whickham for her 3rd place (get yourself along to a club girl!).



Will post some piccies when I get them - got a snazzy trophy to stick on my new mantlepiece (when I eventually get moved) and a lovely techie t-shirt courtesy of Up&Running - Cheers Guys!

Well done to my teammates Frankie, Alan, Helen (5th Lady - well done) and Rachel :D

Diving
The cylinders have arrived - thanks to a super efficient speedy service from Kent Diving - many thanks to Bruce for sorting out my quirky demands for MDE valves in my sparkly new 7ltr 300 bar Fabers.  Just need to get my diving guru Tommy to give them the once over and fit the twinning bands and we're ready to go!

Piccies of the new twinset will definitely be forthcoming!

Just need to find the box with all my dive kit in now :S

Happy bimbling folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment