Saturday 18 February 2012

Gateshead Parkrun, Royal Signals Relays, and hills

Afternoon Folks.

What a week!

Tuesday kick started the running efforts with the return of Darth Jim, and the Jarrow & Hebburn AC handicap - 5k round Monkton, Mill Lane and York Avenue.  I felt pretty worn out after work, but I gave it my best shot and bimbled home in just under 24 mins.

Thursday saw my second session with Yoda (Alan)'s group - running up and down Ellison Street (Hawthorn Leslie's bank) in Hebburn.  I was hoping to just do as much of the session as possible, and eventually managed 6 of the 8 reps.


The course profile says it all!

We'd managed to get ourselves a team for the Royal Signals too, but it also fell on the same day as the first Gateshead Parkrun.  Being that I'd already done the first runs at Sunderland, Newcastle, and Durham, I just had to turn out for Gateshead, so the plan was to just turn up and have a bimble round nearish the back.  Mick turned up with his doggy, so it was the perfect excuse not to get carried away and forget that I was racing in the afternoon.

Despite my initial reservations with the course I actually really enjoyed it.  The hills weren't overly challenging, but then I wasn't really pushing it, so we'll see how it really fairs when the competitive spirit gets the better of me.



So, a total of 82 competitors managed to get round Saltwell Park in some pretty respectable times.  Well done to Hillary for getting the newest member of the North East parkrunning scene up and flying!

It was then a quick dash home for some much needed brekkie before heading over to Hetton Lyons Country Park, for the Royal Signal's Relays.

Team Jarrow were out in force, battling against the wind, hail, and briefly snow, to close teams in both the senior men and senior women.  Way to go Jarrow & Hebburn!


Will update when I get hold of the results.  Till then it's gonna be a night of chilling out with a large glass of rosé.

Happy running folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment