Wednesday 7 January 2009

Arctic Weather? What Arctic Weather

As per usual the forcasters/presenters/weather media people have worked themselves into a frenzy over a little bit of a sub zero temperature. It's a bit warmer than it was yesterday, up to zero when I set off to work this morning, and much better than yesterday which was a nippy -6, but really, all you have to do is put on a jumper and a coat.

It got me to thinking about the geordie thermometer too, so I did a quick search and here it is - definitely a bit of a giggle Laughing

The Geordie Thermometer

50 Degrees. Southerners turn on their heating. Geordies plant their gardens.

40 Degrees. Southerners shiver uncontrollably. Geordies Sunbathe.

30 Degrees. Southern cars will not start. Geordies drive with their windows down

20 Degrees. Southerners wear coats, gloves, and wool hats. Geordies throw a t-shirt on (Girls start wearing mini-skirts)

10 Degrees. Southerners begin to Evacuate. Geordies go swimming in the North Sea.

Zero degrees. Southern landlords turn up the heat. Geordies have the last barbecue before it gets cold.

-10 Degrees. Southerners cease to exist. Geordies throw on a lightweight jacket.

-80 Degrees. Polar bears wonder if it’s worth it. Geordie Boy scouts start wearing long trousers.

-100 Degrees. Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Geordies put on their long johns.

-173 Degrees. Alcohol freezes. Geordies become frustrated because the pubs are shut.

-297 Degrees. Microbiological life starts to disappear. The cows on Newcastle town moor complain of vets with cold hands.

-460 Degrees. All atomic motion stops. Geordies start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

-500 Degrees. Hell freezes over……….Sunderland qualify for Europe.


Of course this isn't a dig at our southern brethren, just an observation that our friends in the North seem to cope better with a bit of snow Wink.

I can remember as a kid, going to school with up to 5ft snow drifts, and gaps where blokes had cleared the bit of path outside their gates. We donned our wellies, thick socks, hats, scarves and 'idiot mittens' - the type that were threaded through the sleeves of your duffle coat Smile. I can't remember any of the other kids ever being dropped off at school in a car. People seemed to walk a lot more, maybe thats why folks were a lot thinner back then.

Me and my sis

Me and my sis in our back garden, my dad made the sledge at work,
it weighed so much it was too heavy to pull about lol.

Anyways, enough of my rambling....

My ankle still isn't right, but I have managed a few test bimbles with the Murph (my border collie). They seemed to go ok, though I've only jogged on grass, and I'm a bit reluctant to get onto the pavement at the moment with the 'arctic freeze' and all that. So I'm going to head down to the track tomorrow night and see how I am on there - I can always head back onto the grass (or back into the warm indoors) if it doesn't work out.

I'm hoping for a better February at least, but the vet's XC championships is looking doubtful at the mo.

Hope everyone else is managing to get out there and crack on with the winter training - it's a real good stamina builder for the spring season 10k's

No comments:

Post a Comment