Tuesday 14 April 2009

Silly little things

It was hot on the success of knocking a few seconds off my 10k time over the week that I decided in a moment of temporary insanity to enter the Newcastle Town Moor Marathon this year. It's a five (yes you heard that right...f i v e) lap course of the town moor. Actually thinking about it five laps doesnt seem so bad, or even better it's only four laps then a 10k race tagged on the end.

Either way it means I'll have to get off my arse and get some long runs in. I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge too, maybe because it's laps and not some insurmountable A to B course, it somehow seems a little more attainable.

So I have till November 22nd (the big day) to get myself into shape.

That's if I get in of course - there's a 100 entry limit, and I'm guessing it's going to be popular. There's also a 5:30 hr cut off too, but if I can't make 4:30 I need to be shot. Though to be fair I haven't a sodding clue at this stage of what time I'll finish in, but lets get real - how often does a marathon suddenly turn up on your doorstep - without the need for traveling expenses, and hotels, and being in an unfamiliar city, with unfamiliar food, when the alternative is your own nice comfy bed the night before, and your usual breakfast on the morning of the race!

I'm really hoping I get in 'cause I'm really quite excited about it. Plus it's the day before my hubby's birthday - should be a canny weekend :)

I'm hoping it goes slightly better than this evening's club session, 5k handicap and I came last :S I'm not suprised with racing on Friday & Sunday, but it's still a bit demoralising - hoping to improve on these short sessions - my times a getting steadily slower at the moment :(

Never mind - I did get the results of the NT10k today, and I managed 5th L35 - so happy with that one at least :D

No comments:

Post a Comment