Sunday 2 January 2011

New Year, new goals, and marathon U-turns

It's been a while since my last update I know, but to be honest I haven't done a lot of running with the bad weather and the huge workload this seems to have generated. Still, it's a new year, and hopefully that'll see an end to last years poor running performances and some new things to try out too.

I've somehow (by the power of Greyskull) managed to procure a place in the London Marathon on the 17th of April. This was not planned at all, but a moment of madness at the running club Christmas do, having been offered the final remaining club place, and sitting opposite non-other than the mighty Joe Prudham himself - the man who in his mid seventies managed to beat me in a sprint finish over the last 200m of Newcastle parkrun last month with his dodgy knees, has done 25ish London marathons, and was rather enthusiastic. This added to the support from the girls in my group, and a few of the lads, led me to going from "I'm never doing another marathon again, it was bloody horrendous" to "Oh, go on then" in a matter of less than a half an hour.

It seems on recollection that I could have made a bit more of a consideration about it, but the form is in the post now, and I've told everyone, so I do have to go through with the dastardly plan. This does also leave me in a bit of a pickle training wise, since it's been incredibly difficult for me to actually get out there and do anything. I'm going to have to pull my finger out and get some running in.

There is also the matter of golf. I'm now a confirmed golfist, having been gifted with lessons and clubs and a brand new golf bag & trolley, so it'd be rude not to give it a 100% effort. I am enjoying it, it's a different kind of challenge to running, definitely more controlled rather than an all out effort, but I'm happy that the two activities will no doubt compliment each other in the long run (no pun intended).

Given that there is a rule of threes in the universe this does lead on to my third hobby...diving. I enjoy this too, maybe with a little less frequency but definitely with a passion. I've got my weekend away in Lochaline coming up in April. Fortunately this is the weekend before London, so I should be able to taper underwater and stuff myself full of all manner of lovely carbohydrates in the lead up to the big day.

I have decided that since I've chosen three time consuming sports that it's about time that I discovered the winning lottery ticket numbers for this Friday's euro millions, so that I can duly retire and become a lady of leisure. If anyone has the winning numbers please do pass them on, I'd be sure to share the wealth.

Until then I suppose it's work as per usual, and once I'm over the chest bug that my Sister thoughtfully passed on over the New Year weekend, I'll be sure to get back on the training wagon. I managed to do the 26.2 miles once before, five times round the Town moor in the freezing cold, wind & rain, so a nice bimble round the sights of London should be a doddle shouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment