Saturday 5 February 2011

Four boroughs run

Evening all,

What an exciting end to the weeks running (assuming I manage not to run at the Town Moor xc tomorrow), today's run was perfect - great conditions, felt good, it all came together.  I decided on another walkabout style trip, just me and the garmin, and an approximate distance of between 16 and 18 miles.  I kind of had a bit of an idea that I'd head down to the river Tyne again, as it's got some interesting scenery, and once I'm through the pedestrian tunnel at the far end, I'm not a million miles from home.

Anyways - here's the route:
It's a canny start with a steep decent down to Felling and Gateshead Stadium, and the north side of the river is mostly downhill, but after that it's just climb after climb back up to Felling - see the elevation map:
actually - that 0 elevation should read below sea level as I went under the river in the pedestrian tunnel.


So, some top facts about todays 17.4 mile effort:
  • I went through four local boroughs: Gateshead, Newcastle, North Tyneside, and South Tyneside
  • Passed over the Tyne, went under the Tyne, over Ouse Burn, and over the Don (tyne tributary) twice.
  • I passed the end of Hadrian's Wall at Segedunum (Wallsend) 
All in all a canny bimble out, finishing in 2:37:41 though it may have been quicker without that savage climb back up the hill at the end.

Happy running folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment